Ketel Marte Adds To Drama With Another Questionable Decision: 'Bad Optics'

Social Media Feature Preview
At some point, it just has to be time for the Arizona Diamondbacks to say enough is enough, doesn't it?

After last week's drama when Marte went AWOL and didn't show up at the ballpark for a game in Boston, he was immediately placed on baseball's restricted list, just minutes before the team's game. His absence was a complete mystery to everyone in the organization, and stayed that way for a couple of days.

Since then, Marte, his agent, manager Torey Lovullo, and GM Mike Hazen have held what has been characterized as a "productive meeting" to address the communication breakdown. He was moved to the injured list as he rehabs what is being called a knee injury. 

But then Friday night, during the Snakes' home game at Chase Field, photos & video emerged on social media showing the D-Backs slugger at a roulette table at a local casino, raising eyebrows once again. 

Lovullo admitted on Saturday that it was a bad look.

"The optics weren't very good. It's not a choice I would make. And I'm sure it's not a choice a lot of people in this room would make.  

"But Ketel's a grown man, he can make his own decisions."

The three-time All-Star second baseman was at the team's spring training complex in Scottsdale, just outside of Phoenix, rehabbing his knee injury earlier in the day. 

Lovullo, who was emotional about the whole saga since it began on Monday, said before Friday's game that he felt betrayed by Marte, per Marc Carig in The Athletic.

“I was hurting,” Lovullo told reporters before the game. “I was clearly hurting. Once I saw what was unfolding, I became extremely frustrated, and I felt betrayed. And that’s a whole different type of pain and frustration. But I’m through that. I’m getting through that.”

The D-Backs have gone 2-2 in the four games since Marte went AWOL, including a 9-0 win Friday night that left them within one game of a Wild Card spot in the National League, going into Saturday's play.